While the news may not be that new anymore I confess I have not grown tired of telling it. I am ENGAGED!! That’s right, as in engaged to be married. I know, right? When did that happen? Well I can tell you….
It all started six years ago. An enthusiastic, idealistic freshman from Oregon moved into her room at Wheaton College’s Smith dorm. Little did she know only a few yards away, across the lobby in the boys dorm, the love of her life was also unloading his belongings. They were both excited for the adventure that college brought but neither of them had any idea of just how great it would truly be.
For several years they interacted in passing. Devin was exploring what he wanted to study changing from the sciences to theology and finally deciding on Christian education. Lisa of course had a plan and she jumped right into her double major of business and psychology. They were busy with floor activities, classes and all the other antics that come with dorm life. They became friends but at the time that meant little more than hanging out once a week on someone’s open floor and the occasional meal in the cafeteria.
As more time passed they got more focused on their majors and more settled into their own groups of friends. Every few months they would run into each other and have a great three hour conversation but then not talk again for several months. Neither party knew that they really were destined to be together. They should have perhaps known that there was a spark when Lisa called Devin up and asked him to go to the free Salsa dance lessons offered on campus. The fateful call was placed at 6:55pm and Devin was at her apartment by 6:59 and they made it to the 7pm lesson. They had only planned to stay for the beginner lesson but they were having such a great time they stayed for the intermediate lesson as well.
However the leads of the story were still oblivious. And as graduation came close Lisa prepared to move to China and Devin began looking for work. In true Lisa fashion she told everyone that she could about her plans. Just to increase the dramatic foreshadowing of the story Lisa told Devin about her plans and mentioned that if he was interested he could come too. To which Devin replied, “Don’t try to convince me too hard or I just might come.” They smiled and said goodbye.
A year passed. Lisa had just gotten home from her first year in China when she got a call from a friend she knew at Wheaton. They talked a few minutes and then he passed the phone to Devin. As the two began to catch up it was a really enjoyable conversation. They both promised to get together sometime when Lisa was in Chicago.
A month later Lisa was in Chicago visiting Wheaton friends and her Church. The days were full and though there were intentions of hanging out with Devin it just never seemed to happen. They met in passing. That is until the fateful conversation.
It was a rainy Chicago afternoon. Lisa had just come back from a weeklong conference on prostitution and was flying out the next day to go back to China. She had about 3 hours before taking the train to her sister’s and what better time could there be to pay a social visit? So Lisa stopped by Devin’s apartment and talked for three hours. They talked about everything from the conference and returning to China to relationships and their journey with the Lord. It was an incredibly deep conversation and was very helpful for Lisa in processing all that was going on. She left that conversation with a new lightness in her step.
The conversation was in September of 2008; a month later I couldn’t stop thinking about that conversation. So in my ridiculous level of boldness I wrote an email to Devin. Though much was said in that email the line we both remember the best is, “Since then I have been wondering what would happen if I lived in Chicago, and I have been thinking that if I was in the same neighborhood I would want to hang out with your more. And that got me thinking that actually what I would like to do is ask you on a date.”
Well, Devin didn’t know what to think but he responded anyway. We began talking more. Neither of us knew what we wanted to do when we grew up but decided that we would keep talking and if the Lord directed our paths in similar directions then we would figure out what to do then.
I continued to process my thoughts with Devin about if I should stay longer in China, what that might mean, where should I work, etc. As I heard about his thoughts about what he wanted to do with his life, his gifting in discipleship, not to mention his experience working at a coffee shop, it became more and more clear that not only was the Father directing me to stay in China longer but also that he was preparing a place for Devin in that too.
In April Devin came to visit for a week. He got a taste of what life is like and it was alarmingly clear to both of us that not only did Devin have a place but we had a place together in China.
On April 17th, 2009 it became “facebook official”. For the first time in my life I wasn’t single but it was strange, because my boyfriend was 7000 miles away! In June, Devin drove from Chicago to Denver to attend one of my friend's weddings. That weekend he met my parents, my oldest sister and her husband as well as several close family friends. And so began our relationship. We went from long-distance to staying in our parents homes and taking road trips to visit just about every relative that I have. So far this summer we have been to 20 states and on 5 factory tours. Though the travels and constant changing of situations have been a little bit stressful, the process of getting to know Devin has been delightful (also great to be able to see so many of you along the way!)
Most of August was spent with Devin’s family in the Boston area. It was great to get to know his family and spend some time in his neck of the woods. In September we flew back to Oregon. Which leads us to my favorite part of the story.
On Friday, September 11th (which happens to be a year after the infamous conversation in Chicago) Devin took me out for Thai food (our first date in China was Thai food) and after that he drove me up to Skinner butte (a large hill in downtown Eugene with really nice views of the city) . We walked around a bit and spent a little while looking out over the city and the stars. Sitting on the grass he then told me that he wanted to ask me a question. He said some very lovely things about how he felt about me, then got on one knee and asked me to if I would marry him. To which I replied, “I suppose so”.

It all started six years ago. An enthusiastic, idealistic freshman from Oregon moved into her room at Wheaton College’s Smith dorm. Little did she know only a few yards away, across the lobby in the boys dorm, the love of her life was also unloading his belongings. They were both excited for the adventure that college brought but neither of them had any idea of just how great it would truly be.
For several years they interacted in passing. Devin was exploring what he wanted to study changing from the sciences to theology and finally deciding on Christian education. Lisa of course had a plan and she jumped right into her double major of business and psychology. They were busy with floor activities, classes and all the other antics that come with dorm life. They became friends but at the time that meant little more than hanging out once a week on someone’s open floor and the occasional meal in the cafeteria.
As more time passed they got more focused on their majors and more settled into their own groups of friends. Every few months they would run into each other and have a great three hour conversation but then not talk again for several months. Neither party knew that they really were destined to be together. They should have perhaps known that there was a spark when Lisa called Devin up and asked him to go to the free Salsa dance lessons offered on campus. The fateful call was placed at 6:55pm and Devin was at her apartment by 6:59 and they made it to the 7pm lesson. They had only planned to stay for the beginner lesson but they were having such a great time they stayed for the intermediate lesson as well.
However the leads of the story were still oblivious. And as graduation came close Lisa prepared to move to China and Devin began looking for work. In true Lisa fashion she told everyone that she could about her plans. Just to increase the dramatic foreshadowing of the story Lisa told Devin about her plans and mentioned that if he was interested he could come too. To which Devin replied, “Don’t try to convince me too hard or I just might come.” They smiled and said goodbye.
A year passed. Lisa had just gotten home from her first year in China when she got a call from a friend she knew at Wheaton. They talked a few minutes and then he passed the phone to Devin. As the two began to catch up it was a really enjoyable conversation. They both promised to get together sometime when Lisa was in Chicago.
A month later Lisa was in Chicago visiting Wheaton friends and her Church. The days were full and though there were intentions of hanging out with Devin it just never seemed to happen. They met in passing. That is until the fateful conversation.
It was a rainy Chicago afternoon. Lisa had just come back from a weeklong conference on prostitution and was flying out the next day to go back to China. She had about 3 hours before taking the train to her sister’s and what better time could there be to pay a social visit? So Lisa stopped by Devin’s apartment and talked for three hours. They talked about everything from the conference and returning to China to relationships and their journey with the Lord. It was an incredibly deep conversation and was very helpful for Lisa in processing all that was going on. She left that conversation with a new lightness in her step.
The conversation was in September of 2008; a month later I couldn’t stop thinking about that conversation. So in my ridiculous level of boldness I wrote an email to Devin. Though much was said in that email the line we both remember the best is, “Since then I have been wondering what would happen if I lived in Chicago, and I have been thinking that if I was in the same neighborhood I would want to hang out with your more. And that got me thinking that actually what I would like to do is ask you on a date.”
Well, Devin didn’t know what to think but he responded anyway. We began talking more. Neither of us knew what we wanted to do when we grew up but decided that we would keep talking and if the Lord directed our paths in similar directions then we would figure out what to do then.
I continued to process my thoughts with Devin about if I should stay longer in China, what that might mean, where should I work, etc. As I heard about his thoughts about what he wanted to do with his life, his gifting in discipleship, not to mention his experience working at a coffee shop, it became more and more clear that not only was the Father directing me to stay in China longer but also that he was preparing a place for Devin in that too.
In April Devin came to visit for a week. He got a taste of what life is like and it was alarmingly clear to both of us that not only did Devin have a place but we had a place together in China.
On April 17th, 2009 it became “facebook official”. For the first time in my life I wasn’t single but it was strange, because my boyfriend was 7000 miles away! In June, Devin drove from Chicago to Denver to attend one of my friend's weddings. That weekend he met my parents, my oldest sister and her husband as well as several close family friends. And so began our relationship. We went from long-distance to staying in our parents homes and taking road trips to visit just about every relative that I have. So far this summer we have been to 20 states and on 5 factory tours. Though the travels and constant changing of situations have been a little bit stressful, the process of getting to know Devin has been delightful (also great to be able to see so many of you along the way!)
Most of August was spent with Devin’s family in the Boston area. It was great to get to know his family and spend some time in his neck of the woods. In September we flew back to Oregon. Which leads us to my favorite part of the story.
On Friday, September 11th (which happens to be a year after the infamous conversation in Chicago) Devin took me out for Thai food (our first date in China was Thai food) and after that he drove me up to Skinner butte (a large hill in downtown Eugene with really nice views of the city) . We walked around a bit and spent a little while looking out over the city and the stars. Sitting on the grass he then told me that he wanted to ask me a question. He said some very lovely things about how he felt about me, then got on one knee and asked me to if I would marry him. To which I replied, “I suppose so”.
We celebrated with hot chocolate, French fries and peanutbutter pie at a local diner.
We are getting married Jan 2nd, 2010 (or 01-02-2010 which is a palindrome) in Oregon. But our travels haven’t come to an end yet. We are leaving tonight to fly to China for a month so that Devin can begin Language study and I can communicate my change of relationship with friends there. We will spend November in Boston and then back to Oregon for wedding prep and with the goal of moving back to China fulltime in March.
It has been quite the journey so far. Thanks for sharing in our story with us. Though I may not have known how great Devin was six years ago, I am very glad that I wisened up.
We are getting married Jan 2nd, 2010 (or 01-02-2010 which is a palindrome) in Oregon. But our travels haven’t come to an end yet. We are leaving tonight to fly to China for a month so that Devin can begin Language study and I can communicate my change of relationship with friends there. We will spend November in Boston and then back to Oregon for wedding prep and with the goal of moving back to China fulltime in March.
It has been quite the journey so far. Thanks for sharing in our story with us. Though I may not have known how great Devin was six years ago, I am very glad that I wisened up.
3 comments:
any hope we might have held out for a change in date so we could attend the wedding was dashed with the realization that 01022010 is a palindrome. How can you pass it up?!! Grreat story - eagerly awaiting further developments.
WOOHOO! SO glad you shared your story. Some of us were practically dying to know! Very obviously written by you (I could almost hear dramatic sound effects with building anticipation =)). Travel well. Love and best wishes from Congo!
I give Lisa & Devin: The Love Story two thumbs up! A wonderfully romantic tale! I laughed, I cried - really, I did, I'm a very emotional romantic,... and in case you were wondering, I laughed hardest at the mention of the palindrome.
- Dinah
Post a Comment