First of all I must say what cool friends I have! Thank you all so much for the letters, emails, care packages (and even facebook messages) I have received these last few months. It is such a tangible way for me to know that I am remembered and loved. You have truly blessed me with your generosity and thoughtfulness.This week has been one of those lovely times where the seasons are changing. Spring is trying to push her head out but winter is not going to fade quietly either. Last weekend it was almost 50 degrees out and I didn’t wear my coat - Friday morning it snowed. Several days this week I awoke to the delightful sound of birds chirping outside my window, the dawn just breaking and warm sunshine pouring into my room. It is on days like these when I feel that I should sit up in bed, reach my arms up for a good stretch, yawn and proclaim, “Good morning world!” Though in reality I usually shuffle to the kitchen in search of my roommate’s coffee, hoping to find the bathroom unoccupied. (I need a little time to let the beauty sink in.)
The glorious weather really hit me yesterday when I was walking to the post office. My mood was already high because of the package awaiting me (Shout out to Debbie and Josh! Thanks for the cool Alaska stuff!) but also because my heart and mind were moved at the beauty around me. Now Tianjin is not what I would call a beautiful city. The only real park that I have seen contains a very large trash pile that is now covered with grass and referred to as Tianjin’s mountain. There are some trees and grassy areas within my apartment complex (see photos) but all if it is arranged my man. I wouldn’t call things ugly, only bland. It can be challenging to be inspired by the shades of grey. Nevertheless this city is beautiful.
As I walked, the light created warm shadows and the brisk wind made cheeks rosy. Smoke twirled from small grills as men cooked lamb and other tasty snacks for sale. The fraying tarps used as a ceiling for the market booths couldn’t contain the life bursting forth from the vegetables, fruits and flowers being sold. I watched as men took down the last of the big red lanterns from this week’s celebrations and I smiled.
Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking that this city lacks the beauty of creation, yet it is full of human life. I couldn’t help but smile as I walked back into the gate of Jiu Hua Li (my apartment
complex). I watched children playing badminton, grandparents walking together, and a little boy ringing his bike bell as he followed his father down the path. There was a man fixing bikes and a woman carrying bags of groceries. I looked around at buildings around me and remembered the first time I walked this path. Carrying all my belongings as I followed my friends to my new home, the pink apartment complex seemed so foreign and strange. Each building I passed I wondered if that is where I would live. How much can change in six months - for now I was coming home. Life is not all “warm fuzzies” here, nor is it all “cold pricklies” either. I treasure the warm sunshine days but even more I am learning to appreciate the joys of simply living, of being a part of something. I long for the days when all of creation will be renewed, but I can still rejoice now that our Father is alive and at work in very tangible ways.

I loved being on the beach in Thailand where I was smacked over the head with the natural beauty, but I am glad to be home. Here I see the beauty of the Father daily as he shines through the faces of the students at the English corner and the devoted who are faithfully serving. Oh for the day when His glory will be fully revealed and known in every corner of the earth and all creation, trees and man alike, can sing His praise. But until that day, I will continue to give thanks for each bird that sings and each package I receive.
1 comment:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment