My new Ruby Red laptop is perched on my lap, my ipod is piping recently downloaded tunes into my ears, my cell phone is ringing with the familiar tone calling me to answer and I am writing a post on my very own blog. It is official; I have now fully embraced the ease and convenience that modern technology has given us and a little bit of my soul has just died.
A little over dramatic? Perhaps. It is not that I view technology as a bad or evil thing, in fact I was thrilled when I opened the package from Dell a few weeks ago that contained my new shiny computer. Long plane trips have become much more tolerable now that I can listen to Lynne Rossetto Kasper wax and wain about the glories of carmelised onions on her weekly cooking podcast. Cell phones and internet chatting has allowed me to keep up with many of my friends over the sumer. And as I embark on this journey across the sea I praise the wonders of webcams, internet phone calls, and blogs making it easy to for me to keep in touch with family and friends faraway. However, these are helpful tools, they can never replace the joy of experiencing life in three dimensions with all five senses. While I am very greatful that technology has made it easier to communicate long distance it can not replace the joy of fellowship in person.
Perhaps this is why I have not ever attempted to write a blog before. My words do not begin to do justice to the beauty that life contains. But at the same time the adventures that await me on the other side of the Pacific are too big to not be shared. I leave one week from today. While I am a little overwhellemed with details at the moment it is not the going that is difficult but rather the leaving. There is amazing work that is happening in China and I am excited to be apart it, however I find it difficult to leave the people I love behind. I hope that by sharing some of my thoughts and expereinces in this blog you will be able to travel along with me and you will not seem so far away. (Just don’t forget to share your own adventures with me; nobody likes a one sided conversation.)
So let us raise our glasses to technology, while it may not always be good, may it always be good enough!
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great beginning - creating expectations of interesting things to come. On the subject of life in three dimensions, check out seashells.tumblr.com, scroll down and read the entry from Sunday August 5.
I am so delighted that you have a blog! And I am also pleased to see your fame spreading in the alumni magazine...
Post a Comment